The Karl-Marx-Allee is East Berlin’s former socialist grand boulevard. It is framed by striking seven to nine-story residential and office buildings that were built from 1952 and 1958 as part of the German Democratic Republic’s most comprehensive urban architectural achievement of the postwar years. Central Berlin, DDR limited documents the aesthetic of the boulevard and where it originates, the Strausberger Platz.
The book features a historic part that documents the Karl-Marx-Allee’s changing landscape over the years and offers explanations. A highlight is its design chapter, which not only documents select furniture and lamps from this era, but also shows how well contemporary lifestyles and designs can be integrated into these socialist classicist buildings today.